Shiloh Church is a contemporary expression of God’s faithfulness built upon a proud past. It all began with revival meetings at Three Springs – a spot that later became the Village of Shiloh in the Illinois territory. That revival gave birth to what is now Shiloh Church in 1807: the oldest Methodist Church in Illinois at the same location. The original church, which was a log building, was commissioned by the circuit riding pastor William McKendree. In 1875 our third building, a church with a steeple that can be seen from miles around, was erected on the site. That brick church stands proudly today as our historic chapel. Groundbreaking for a new addition to the existing building took place in 2000. This expansion provided a large worship center and educational wing with room for future growth.
When William McKendree, the first American-born Methodist bishop and founder of McKendree University in Lebanon, Illinois, offered his prophetic blessing at the founding of this church in 1807, he had faith that “this church would live long and accomplish great good.” As it was in the early days when the pioneers came here to draw nearer to God, more than two centuries later, Shiloh Church remains a Christ-centered church with a long heritage built upon a strong Methodist foundation and a promising future as a place where people come to know and serve Jesus Christ.